Profile Description

My photo
I'm a mother of 3 who started blogging as a way to share our many adventures and to expand beyond the everyday "mommy world". While there IS so much more to us mommies than the title, there is very little that doesn't in some way or another lead us back to or influence our children...if anything. So, I hope you enjoy following our family's randomness, because as all moms know- you can never anticipate what tomorrow will bring! Thanks for visiting and have a blessed day! :)

Monday, October 8, 2012

Election Fast 2012: Week 1

This week went by so quickly that I barely had time to breathe.  Between getting the first newsletter done for my MOPS group, trying to register to vote AND get my license, moving furniture, getting sick, and doing all the other normal things to be done in any given week (dinner, dishes, laundry, etc.), there wasn't much time left to sit and think.  So, if you're waiting for the moment when my "spiritual awakening" happened, so am I.

As far as keeping my fast, I haven't had a drop of sweet tea and believe me, I've wanted it.  As it would happen, our Wii quit on us so staying away from the television is a temptation that solved itself.  Coincidence? ;)  The laptop still works but I've used that for "work" during the daylight hours so I've kept my fast in that respect too.

Even in the midst of my busyness and sickness, though, there were moments that reminded me to pray for the election.  Like when it was SO easy to register to vote, while getting my driver's license transferred still hasn't happened because I have to show my marriage license to prove I am who I say I am.  I've been married for over 9 years!  My former state license is in my married name.  My social security card is in my married name.  Why is that still not enough after 9 years?!  I even brought mailed bills addressed to me in (you guessed it) my married name as proof of residency.  (Funny enough...you don't need proof of residency to transfer your driver's license in Arkansas.  What?!)  Yet, I can waltz right into the county clerk's office, fill out an application with only the last four digits of my social security card and leave registered to vote.  (Again...What?!)  Oh!  And note to self: Find marriage license!

In cases like that I'm reminded to pray that any voter fraud be exposed, that it be prevented in the first place, that we can have confidence in a fair election that is unaltered and legitimate in every way.  Upon seeing the debate this week, I pray that the truth will win out, lies will be exposed, news coverage would be fair and accurate (miracles have been known to happen ;)), but most of all I pray that God will grant "We, the People", "We, the Voters", "we, HIS people" wisdom and discernment as we cast our ballots.  I pray that our future president will fear Him, love Him, obey Him and that God will grant him His wisdom as he leads our country.

Looking ahead, week 2 is liable to be just as busy as this past week.  Yet, I'm learning that busy doesn't have to mean "bad" or "less spiritual".  Jesus seemed awfully busy to me.  The difference is that He took the time to rest and get away when it was needed and I pray I'll do the same.  I'm learning conscious awareness of God's presence even in the mundane.  Yes, I'm busy.  But God is still with me no matter what I'm doing.  I can have a conversation or listen to His voice no matter where I am.  This is old news to me but this fast is bringing this knowledge to the forefront of my mind and molding it into my everyday life, changing how I react to things and how I interact with others, changing my perspective of "the bigger picture".  I will take a break before long and perhaps then I'll have that "spiritual awakening" when it's just me and God.  No noise, no chores, no errands, no having to be somewhere 5 minutes ago.  Just me.  Just God.  For now, in the busy between times, I choose to live as just me with God.  Wherever I am.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment