Profile Description

My photo
I'm a mother of 3 who started blogging as a way to share our many adventures and to expand beyond the everyday "mommy world". While there IS so much more to us mommies than the title, there is very little that doesn't in some way or another lead us back to or influence our children...if anything. So, I hope you enjoy following our family's randomness, because as all moms know- you can never anticipate what tomorrow will bring! Thanks for visiting and have a blessed day! :)

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Am I finally over my writer's block, yet??

I guess we'll see.  I know it's been forever since I've posted anything.  Moving must have really messed with my head.  You should see all the half-written drafts in my blogger account right now.  Ridiculous!!  For whatever reason, I just couldn't seem to finish any of them.  It didn't matter the topic.  They range all over the place...all unfinished...all collecting cyber dust.

I hope to put an end to my blogging silence.  After all, not everything I write has to be profound, right?  It really doesn't even have to be interesting.  I write more for myself than anyone else anyway.  So much has happened since we moved that I don't even know where to begin.  So, I won't post anything deeply personal just yet.  I'm just going to get my feet wet this time...not take a swim.  It's been so long since I've been in the water, I think I'll avoid getting in over my head right now...just to be safe.  After all, I'm hoping that this post will actually get published!  Baby steps.  Baby steps. ;)

Anyway, I ran across this article about the benefits of eating out for Thanksgiving and I'd really like to know your thoughts on the matter.  Here is my brief personal take:
I have mixed feelings about this.  I really hate the reality of anyone working on a holiday.  I definitely don't think it should be mandatory (with the exceptions of defense and emergency healthcare professions.  I mean, duh!  Emergencies are called that for a reason.).   
On the other hand, these are hard economic times and if you find yourself barely scraping by, it could actually be a god-send to have the opportunity to work on a holiday or Black Friday.  Many times working a holiday will earn you time-and-a-half or extra commissions and hopefully those that come eat at your restaurant recognize the sacrifice you are making and tip generously.  Black Friday is a HUGE day for sales.  (That's why it's called Black Friday and not Red Friday.)  For some, it may mean the difference between purchasing Christmas gifts this year or going without. 
Personally, I prefer the homemade meal with family, football, and all-day conversations.  In my opinion, part of the joy of the holiday is lost in a restaurant, particularly if you have a large crowd because you don't have as much time to visit and if you really wanted to talk to "uncle Bob" who happens to be at the opposite end of the table, you probably won't have much of a chance.  A day with family leaves room for private conversations and more personal moments.  Besides, quality time doesn't happen on a schedule.  It spawns from quantity time together.  It happens while cleaning up the dishes after the meal or cheering for your favorite team.  I don't see myself looking back over my life and thinking, "Remember when we had Thanksgiving dinner at that restaurant?  Wasn't that so much fun and so exciting?!"  For me, it would probably look more like, "Cousin, remember when we talked Nana into playing on the Wii with us last year?  We nearly laughed ourselves silly when she beat YOU at bowling!  And the dancing...Oh, the dancing!!" :)
I feel sorry for those who constantly bicker with their families and who dread spending time together.  Goodness knows, our family is far from perfect and we have had (and no doubt, will continue to have) our own share of dreadful moments.  But I hope and I pray that the happy times and fond memories we've made, and have yet to make, will far outweigh the bitter ones.  I think making the most of the time we have together is one way to accomplish that goal...and I don't think eating at a restaurant on a major holiday will suffice.  I suppose the possible exception to that would be in how you plan to spend the rest of your day.  Will you be in the company of your family then, too?  Or is Thanksgiving just the meal?  What do you think?

*Clarification:  "Family" does not have to mean blood-kin.  It is for most of us but hopefully if you know someone who doesn't have anywhere to go for Thanksgiving, you'll invite them over and treat them like family, too (or in some cases, better than). ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment