Profile Description

My photo
I'm a mother of 3 who started blogging as a way to share our many adventures and to expand beyond the everyday "mommy world". While there IS so much more to us mommies than the title, there is very little that doesn't in some way or another lead us back to or influence our children...if anything. So, I hope you enjoy following our family's randomness, because as all moms know- you can never anticipate what tomorrow will bring! Thanks for visiting and have a blessed day! :)

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Lessons from a 6 Year Old: A Rose is Blooming

 My facebook status update last night: 
"I think I missed my calling as a firefighter since all I ever seem to do is put out fires. I'm really highly qualified. ;) Currently, I'm trying to smother the flames that Rhea Lana consigning has created. In the meantime, our apartment is catching fire. Then, of course, there's the MOPS newsletter that is FULLY ablaze. (Whose brilliant idea was that again? ;)) Spring break x 2 (my husband's, then the boys'), birthdays x 2 (mine, then Sadie's), Easter... You get the picture.  March is an inferno!"
With that in mind, here is what happened on the drive to school this morning:

Josiah sang me a new verse that he wrote to one of his (and Jackson's) favorite songs, "Light the Fire" (Jackson joined in at the chorus):
"A rose is blooming, while the people are trying to rest.  The Master of the Valley, makes Him always the best!  Light the fire..."
What a GREAT start to my day!  We do try to rest, don't we?  Particularly when we are weary from the worries of this world, trials that we face, and work that must be done.  He is the Master of the Valley, our Comforter and Keeper when we are low, alone, and in despair, when we want to give up because the burden seems too great.  He is our Strength and our Song, our Stronghold (Psalm 9) and our Refuge (Psalm 59; Nahum 1), Our Deliverer Who is mighty to save.  Who is better?  No one and nothing.  He is the best!  Always.

Photo credit: sendmyflower.com

And what about the rose?  What theological depth it holds!  A rose is blooming, but it takes time before that happens, doesn't it?  It must grow first if it is ever to reveal the true beauty within.  Then, when it is finally ready, it opens its petals without a lot of fanfare, subtly, quietly.  Do you see the lesson here?  We often forget the beauty of the rose while tending the garden.  Even roses have thorns, making cultivation sometimes painful and burdensome.  We grow tired.  Perhaps a fire destroys what we've been working so hard to produce.  Discouragement sets in and we find ourselves in the barren valley with no beauty in sight.  We lose our focus, lose sight of our purpose.  We want to give up.  It is then that our Deliverer comes to our aid.  We find rest in our Refuge and take a breath as He continues to cultivate the garden.  Our Strength renews us, we begin again and we are able to finish the work.  Finally, the petals open.  A sweet fragrance consumes the air around us.  We see the beautiful rose in all its glory and we cannot look away.  He is the Creator of all things.  Without Him, there would be no bloom.  Without Him, there would be no beauty.  What a privilege that He should invite us to participate in creation with Him!  The work can be hard but the reward is great!
Lord, thank You for my children.  You know that not even two days ago I was speaking this mantra in my head, in a moment when daily frustrations overwhelmed me and the kids were getting on my last nerve: "Lord, I'm so thankful for my children, I'm so thankful for my children, I am truly thankful for my children."  Now, I say it in earnest and with a joyful heart.  Thank You!  They have no idea of their impact and blessing on my life.  Who would have thought that the creation of a child's simple song verse could spark such a flame of remembrance and revival?  Let the fires come.  They only serve to cast more light on Your mercies, Your goodness, Your faithfulness.
What a mighty God we serve whose whispers we can hear if only we will seek His face.  Praise be to His Name!  He is always there.  Are we listening?  Are we paying attention?  My challenge for you today, should you choose to accept it, is to look for God to reveal Himself to you in subtle ways, in beautiful ways.  Strive to be aware of His presence and in everything you do this day, even the mundane, do for the glory of His Name!  Fires are raging, but a rose is blooming...

No comments:

Post a Comment