Profile Description

My photo
I'm a mother of 3 who started blogging as a way to share our many adventures and to expand beyond the everyday "mommy world". While there IS so much more to us mommies than the title, there is very little that doesn't in some way or another lead us back to or influence our children...if anything. So, I hope you enjoy following our family's randomness, because as all moms know- you can never anticipate what tomorrow will bring! Thanks for visiting and have a blessed day! :)

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Lost Titles and Lessons of Laughter

All married couples have them.  Even the good and strong ones like mine and my husband's.  We are by no means immune.  You know what I'm talking about.  The arguments that periodically ensue over the same old things?  You hem and haw and chew on it awhile and then, leaving the issue still unresolved, stick it back on the shelf until the next time one of you gets the urge to take it down, dust it off, and hem and haw over it again.  That's just life, I guess...particularly for two people as bull-headed as we are. lol

Lately, there has been a recurring thorn in our side and hopefully the Georgia Department of Revenue will do something to remedy that very soon.  Without going into the boring details, suffice it to say that my husband and I do NOT like talking about the lost title to our van and the havoc that such a simple thing like that can wreak on our demeanors and the overall pleasantness in our home.

Our latest "episode" happened last night in said van while we were driving down the road...as a family.  Yes, our kids were with us and heard our "argument".  Personally, I like to think that Justin and I disagree in a healthy manner most of the time, if that's even possible.  We don't resort to name calling or screaming or throwing things...most of the time.  (I once threw an entire roll of toilet tissue at him, hitting him in the back of the head with it, but in my defense...I was pregnant at the time.  Those hormones are no joke! ;))  I also don't think we do our children any favors by never fighting in front of them.  I mean, they do need to learn how to respectfully disagree with someone, right?  Only problem is, I'm not sure we were the best role models of that on this particular evening.

Right as we were in the middle of our heated "debate", Josiah started to whine from the back seat, "Mommy, Sadie said I'm..."  Before he could finish I was already getting on to him.  I was stern, focused, and in no mood for their shenanigans with each other.
"Josiah, how many times do I have to tell you guys to just get along?  Now work out your own problems amongst yourselves.  Can't you see that me and your Daddy are fighting right now?"
Naturally, my response to Josiah elicited a snort and a chuckle from my loving husband.  He tried to contain it but let's face it, it was funny.  I couldn't even type what I said without laughing.  What a ridiculous thing to say!  I'm getting on to my son for fighting with his sister while at the same time telling him I can't get involved in their problem because I'm too busy fighting with their daddy.  I definitely need to write that one down in the "Things I Never Thought I'd Say" book...that is, if I ever get one written.

Honestly, we were both glad for the comic relief.  I think it helped us put things in perspective.  I also think that laughter and humor are so important in a marriage.  Things seem to go much more smoothly when we just lighten up and stop taking ourselves so seriously all the time.  It's important to note that our "debate" went right back on the shelf that night still unresolved, but I'm ok with that.  We at least worked out a few things and while we still don't agree entirely on the issue, I believe we understand each other's perspective a little better.  Plus, we have something else to laugh about now.  A sure sign of a healthy marriage, right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment