Profile Description

My photo
I'm a mother of 3 who started blogging as a way to share our many adventures and to expand beyond the everyday "mommy world". While there IS so much more to us mommies than the title, there is very little that doesn't in some way or another lead us back to or influence our children...if anything. So, I hope you enjoy following our family's randomness, because as all moms know- you can never anticipate what tomorrow will bring! Thanks for visiting and have a blessed day! :)

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Tidy-Up Tip Tuesday 5/24

No, you're not crazy.  Today is really Wednesday.  Yes, I'm a day late posting this.  For whatever reason our computer (or blogger, not sure which) refused to sign my husband out of his blogging account yesterday so I could get into mine.  Anyway, here's your tip for the week.

This week I'm not showcasing a product as much as an idea.  With the kids now out of school for the summer and vacations on the rise, I thought this might be a good time to encourage everyone to set a routine early and stick to it.  (I'm preaching to myself now, too.  Ideas and theories I can handle.  Putting them into practice consistently is another matter entirely. haha)

So, my tip for the week is #1) set up a plan, #2) get the kids and spouse involved, and #3) institute the "pick-up before play" rule...or "PBP".  Now, this is a useless tip to all you super-moms out there who are highly organized and orderly.  However, for those of you who have trouble with this like I do, we can benefit from the accountability that comes from simply admitting our struggles and developing the discipline of a stable routine.  It will truly make for a happier home.

From what I understand, the first 21 days are critical to establishing new habits and behaviors.  Apparently, if you can stick to a new routine for 21 consecutive days, you are more likely to continue that pattern.  (I can only surmise that I haven't reached the golden 21-day mark in this respect yet. ;) )  So, my challenge for you today is to mark your calendar for the 21st day after implementing your plan.  Then, find an accountability partner (preferably someone who will call you out when you need it) and share specifically what you plan to accomplish and how you'll measure success.  Then, after 21 days, reward yourself for a job well-done!

Your plan will depend upon many factors affecting your specific family so it probably won't look exactly like ours or anyone else's.  Only you can determine what works best for you.  For us, my part of our plan is to start and finish at least one load of laundry and empty the dishwasher every MORNING (which also means the dishwasher will be loaded and dishes cleaned the night before).  For the kids, they will pick up their rooms and other toys before we go out anywhere (and before computer or television time) and everything will be put away before bedtime.  This is just part of the plan but if we can do this for 21 consecutive days, I'll consider it a success!

So, what will you do for the next 21 days?  Leave a comment below and let's help each other reach our goals  and enjoy a more relaxing and tidier home even during the hectic summer months!

No comments:

Post a Comment