Profile Description

My photo
I'm a mother of 3 who started blogging as a way to share our many adventures and to expand beyond the everyday "mommy world". While there IS so much more to us mommies than the title, there is very little that doesn't in some way or another lead us back to or influence our children...if anything. So, I hope you enjoy following our family's randomness, because as all moms know- you can never anticipate what tomorrow will bring! Thanks for visiting and have a blessed day! :)

Monday, February 6, 2012

Sadie's Shadow

I had another interesting theological conversation with Sadie again today.  We went to have lunch with Justin and while walking from the car to the building, here is what happened:
Sadie: "Mohhm, God doesn't want me to be in the dark.  He wants me to be in the light."
Me:  "What are you talking about?  You are in the light." (It was another gorgeous day today!)
Sadie: "Nooo, Mohhm.  I'm not all in the light.  See?  See my dark self? (pointing to her shadow) You have to take it away!"
Me:  "I can't take it away.  It's your shadow.  It goes where you go." (At this point, a student passes us and I can see her stifling a laugh at our amusing discussion.)
Sadie:  "Yes, you can!  God doesn't want me to be in the dark.  You have to make it disappear!"  (Yes, my 3 year old actually used the word 'disappear' without any prompting.  Aren't you impressed? ;) )
Me:  "Honey, you're gonna have to take that one up with God.  He created it.  I didn't."
Sadie:  Pouting..."But I don't like (stomps her foot) my shadow...God made it?"
Me: "Yep."
Sadie:  "Why?"  (You knew this was coming, right?)
Me:  "I don't know.  You'll have to ask Him."
Sadie:  "Oh, okay."
As we walked along, I saw that part of the sidewalk was covered by the shadow of the building next to us so...
Me: "Sadie, walk over here and your shadow will disappear.  Watch."  (We walk and she's delighted to see her shadow "fade" into the shade covering the sidewalk.  We walk a bit further and are again in the light and her shadow reappears.  This time, she squeals with delight and finds it so amusing that her shadow has come back.)
Sadie:  "Look, Mom!  There it is!  There it is again!", followed by hysterical laughter.
There are so many lessons here that I don't even know where to begin.  Aren't we like this sometimes?  First, expecting the wrong people to help us who, even if they wanted to, don't have the ability to do anything about our predicament.  Then, there's the "don't know what you got 'til it's gone" lesson.  She has no interest in her shadow until after it disappears like she's been wanting.  Then, when it comes back, she's giddy about it.  Have you ever had something taken from your life after begging and pleading that it would 'disappear' only to gain an entirely new perspective on it and been thrilled when it was returned to you?  Then, of course, there's the whole 'light versus dark' analogy but I won't go there this time.  That would take quite a while.  ;)  Is there a lesson in this story for you somewhere?  Feel like sharing?






1 comment: